Thursday, November 18, 2010

Review: Manifest by Artist Arthur

Photobucket

Photobucket

Novel: Manifest
Author: Artist Arthur
Pages: 256
Genre: YA

Photobucket

Krystal Bentley is an outsider at her new high school, having just moved to a small Connecticut town. Lately she's been hearing the voice of a teenage boy in her head, and he has become her friend and confidant. The only problem is, he's dead...

Ricky Watson was killed a year ago in the alley behind Krystal's new school. The rumor mill is filled with stories of Ricky and his untimely death. Unfortunately, as a ghost, Ricky is unable to investigate his own murder, so Ricky needs Krystal to find the truth and she needs someone to listen. When Krystal befriends Sasha and Jake, both outcasts at her high school, the threesome soon discover that they have more in common than their outsider status. Each has a unique paranormal ability and an unusual birthmark in the shape of an "M." Jake announces that the M must stand for misfits, and so the three form an unusual clique. They soon realize that solving Ricky's murder can help them understand the mystery behind their powers and may reveal whether there are others like them.


Photobucket
(I will not be posting any spoilers! Only opinion for the sake of those of us who love to have our first look at a book be untainted by foreknowledge.)

This book seemed to have turned me on my head. Suddenly the main girl who is alive is sulky and acting like Ricky, who is dead, should be. Only Ricky isn’t your average dead joe. He is fun and blunt and when these two characters are next to one another they seem to compliment both the good and bad in each other making the story even more interesting. There is a wide variety among the cast of characters each of them having their own constant and unique personalities. I want to find out what will happen next! I really think this series has the potential to branch out and becoming even better with its second novel.

Photobucket

3 ½ stars!

Would I suggest you read it:

I would suggest this novel to someone who is looking for a paranormal YA series that has a lot of potential to grow. It may be one of those novels that reach some and not others but I know I loved it and hope you will too!

Photobucket

(This novel was received through netGalley. This does not change my stance, opinion or effect my views in any way.)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review and recommendation. Sounds like it would be a decent read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed your review and up-front recommendation. I enjoy books with a twist and the capacity to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I assume by your comments that there will be a book to follow? The concept sounds interesting. And I love me a good paranormal story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. Stop by my blog to read a review for your book when you have a chance. I loved it.

    http://tyhadas-bookshelf.blogspot.com/2010/11/review-thirteenth-chime-by-emma.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete