Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: The Keening by A. LaFaye

Photobucket

Photobucket

Novel: The Keening
Author: A. LaFaye
Pages: 224
Genre: Young Adult

Photobucket

Born into a family with artistry in their fingers, Lyza laments that her only talent is carving letters into wood. That is until her life is turned upside down when her mother succumbs to the influenza pandemic of 1918, which is devastating their small coastal town in Maine. With her mother gone, Lyza must protect her eccentric father, who runs the risk of being committed, especially now that he claims he’s waiting for the return of his dead wife. Can Lyza save her father and find her own path in the process?

Photobucket
(I will not be posting any spoilers! Only opinion for the sake of those of us who love to have our first look at a book be untainted by foreknowledge.)

There is something about this novel that is so special and unique. You feel like you are actually going Lyza’s journey with her. You can almost feel the surroundings portrayed in Maine and out at sea. It is beautiful and haunting but there is something that keeps the novel in your hands and keeps you reading through this strange journey with Lyza. It is absolutely beautiful and unforgettable with amazing historical details and information. A. LaFaye definitely did all the homework needed for this novel. I will admit when I first saw the cover I didn’t take a second glance. Then I was reading through novel descriptions and something about this one caught my eyes.
Now, the cover have grown on my after reading the novel. It makes sense and suits the book. This novel has some main points that I really enjoyed. As a daddy’s girl, I loved getting to see the relationship between Lyza and her father, even if it isn’t quite normal and her father does seem to be slowly losing his sanity, (seems being the key word). Then there are some other parts I can’t really write about without giving anything away but it is wonderful! Well worth the read and a quick read at that.

Photobucket

4 Stars!

Would I suggest you read it:

Yes. This novel is worth reading for the historical facts alone. Add in amazing details and relationships with family that are explored. I enjoyed this novel, it is beautiful and amazing and just might have secured a permanent place in my heart and mind.

Photobucket

(This novel was received through netGalley. This does not change my stance, opinion or effect my views in any way.)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds incredible. So glad to see more historical YA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for the review... I'll add it to me list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, I like your review and I will have to add it to my TBR list.
    Samantha Jo
    YA Enthusiast

    ReplyDelete