Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Recommendation: Drawing out the Dragons

Drawing out the Dragons 4

I loved this book. Okay, so I was a bit on the fence about if I could get into this book and it was a wonderful surprise. I ended up reading it in one sitting and finding myself wanting more. This novel is not only inspirational and quirky but it has a contagious eagerness towards life. From page one I realized this wasn’t going to be your average novel and that James A. Owen didn’t have the average perspective on life.

Drawing out the Dragons 7

So your run of the mill book written to be inspirational normally has the same old, believe in yourself, everything will end up wonderfully and perfectly and we will all skip through fields of blooming daisies. James A. Owen’s perspective is more realistic but filled with a hunger for life and a belief in humanity. He tells it as it is, that doing what you really feel you are meant to isn’t going to be easy and it isn’t supposed to be. There are obstacles and for every author or person you view as successful out there, whether it looks like they got the deal of the century or not there was struggle and hardship and above all, a need to act and a belief in what they were doing that drove them past anything life threw a them.

Drawing out the Dragons 6

Probably my favorite parts of this novel were when he spoke about why he writes for middle grade and why he loved speaking to them. I also LOVED when he talked about Superman: Last Son of Krypton by Eliot S! Maggin and how it changed his life (enough that I have plans to order my own copy). To be honest, this book couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I won’t go into details but truly, I am so happy this book arrived when it did.

Drawing out the Dragons 2

Reading this book you don’t feel talked down to, you feel like you are sitting next to a friend who knows you and cares about you and is telling you their story so that you know a bit better how to approach your own life. A man who loves comic books, dragons and superman and who believes in anyone and everyone who will listen.

Drawing out the Dragons 3

A phenomenal book that has left me a fan of James A. Owen for life.

I won’t forget it anytime soon. Drawing out the Dragons

And as an added bonus, check out this amazing desktop background featuring his art!

Drawing out the Dragons 5

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment