Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: The Circle of Magic: Tris's Book

Photobucket

Warning: For once I have written a completely random review. Filled with random and spastic humor. Hope you enjoy, if not feel free to let me know. I am sure I will be less hyper by the time I write my next review.

Photobucket

Novel: Circle of Magic #2 (Tris’s Book)
Author: Tamora Pierce
Pages: 272
Genre: YA (Fantasy)

Photobucket

Tris and her three fellow mages-in-training have barely survived an earthquake that hit Winding Circle Temple. Now pirates are threatening to destroy the only real home the young sorcerers have ever known. As in Sandry's Book (Scholastic, 1997), the first installment in the series, the companions realize they can save themselves and their community only by combining powers and becoming one force greater than the sum of its parts. Reminiscent of Virginia Hamilton's Justice and Her Brothers (Harcourt, 1989), but without the rivalry and menace within the four-person "unit," Tris's Book focuses instead on the growing friendship among the young mages and their realization that their magical connections are beginning to seep into other facets of their lives. Individually, the mages are also struggling to control their powers, which come on in overwhelming surges when their possessors feel strong emotions. Readers on the brink of adolescence, struggling with new feelings and abilities, will appreciate the young sorcerers' efforts. Pierce has created another gripping adventure that's sure to please her many fans.
(By School Library Journal’s Beth Wright)

Photobucket
(I will not be posting any spoilers! Only opinion for the sake of those of us who love to have our first look at a book be untainted by foreknowledge.)

Tris’s book is my favorite out of the series. Mostly because I find her to be the easiest character for me personally, to be able to relate to. She is also the mage out of the four with the most raw energy and many times the least control because of how overpowering her abilities are. But hey, if you could control the weather, one of the most temperamental and powerful elements there is you might be a little over whelmed to. Naturally, her control over whether is not why I relate to her but instead the way she acts and well, the obvious red hair and pale skin and glasses bit, with coming from a poor background.

Tris when I was younger and first read this novel became my favorite character quickly, she is quick witted but normally very silent and I think part of what I loved most was that she learned to control her surrounding even when the world was becoming hectic around her. In this novel the bond between the four mages grows and your get to see a part of Tris you weren’t able to reach in the first novel. Did I mention pirates… yup, that’s right pirates! Argg!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Would I suggest you read it:

Yes! Tris is a wonderful character and this story will sweep you away into its magical world!

Other Covers:
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. nice blog :)

    I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
    Take a minute an check my blog out
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, because you visited mine. As it turns out, I have always been a big fan of "escape reading" -- novels and that sort of thing. Will keep an eye on your blog for good suggestions...
    horsetalkindiana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tris's Book sounds intriguing. I will mail a copy of A Story of the West out to you next week. I waited as I had a book signing today and wanted to make sure I had enough copies. More are ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the covers and I like your review format! I'll have to keep my eye out for this one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved Tamora Pierce for a long time! Read the series Circle of Magic. Each one is terrific! She has plenty of other series that are equally as good. Haven't read them all but plan to. Thanks for the reveiw. Tamora Pierce deserves to be known.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool review! Like the comment above said, I love your review format. My hub and I sponsored a family in Macedonia for several years. One year, when I went over, I brought a couple of Tamora Pierce's books with me. Marija had studied English long enough to make the plunge into an English language book for fun. She totally loved the experience!!

    ReplyDelete